by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Top Rank promoter Bob Arum insists that Juan Manuel Marquez has not turned down a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao and says the speculation over a possible opponent for Pacquiao - other than Marquez - is unwarranted and suggested that everybody stays quiet.
In a conversation with BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard, Arum revealed that he is meeting with Marquez this week, obviously to discuss a fifth fight with Pacquiao which he had planned for September.
Arum told us “as long as he’s fighting, he’s not a fool. Of course he’s going to fight Manny rather than fight somebody for a lot less money.”
The astute Top Rank promoter had earlier stated that Marquez claims that he didn’t need to fight Pacquiao once more was mere “posturing” and the Mexican was actually “negotiating” but was confident he would eventually agree to a fifth fight against Pacquiao.
Marquez scored a crushing 6th round, one punch knockout over Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena last December 8 which shocked the boxing world since Pacquiao had broken Marquez’ nose and bloodied his face and had him in deep trouble.
At the time of the knockout, Pacquiao was leading by one point on the scorecards of all three judges despite suffering a flash knockdown earlier in round 3.
Speculation of a possible opponent should Marquez refuse a fifth fight has centered around Brandon “Bam Bam” Rios and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero.
Pacquiao has indicated that he doesn’t plan to chase Marquez whom he beat twice in their first three fights and was denied the decision in their first clash when judge Burt Clements admitted in a post-fight interview that he had made a mistake in scoring the first round 10-7 when it should have been 10-6 because of the three knockdowns scored by Pacquiao.
Clements said he should have scored it 10-6 just like the two other judges and if he had, Pacquiao would have won the fight instead of it ending in a draw.
Tags: Manny Pacquiao , Juan Manuel Marquez , Pacquiao-Marquez 5 , Pacquiao vs Marquez 5