by Ronnie Nathanielsz
THE lawyer of Manny Pacquiao sees a bright side to the decision of Judge Melissa Saragosa in delaying the implementation of Floyd Mayweather’s 90-day jail sentence from Jan. 6 to June 1.
David Marroso refused to comment on the judge’s decision, but told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard: “I do know that we are focused on Manny’s lawsuit against Mayweather, correcting the horrible wrong the Mayweathers perpetrated against Manny by falsely accusing him of taking performance-enhancing drugs.”
“We are committed to restoring Manny’s legacy, which has been devastated by the lies told about him. Hopefully, today’s decision means our case can proceed to trial sooner rather than later,” Marroso said.
Even before Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa granted a request by Mayweather’s lawyers to postpone his incarceration until after a planned May 5 bout, Marroso said: “At this time, we are not aware of any reason, including Mayweather’s criminal situation, that would disrupt or delay Pacquiao’s defamation case from proceeding.”
He disclosed that Mayweather’s deposition had been taken and that he expected Pacquiao’s to be done, although no date had been set yet.
Meanwhile, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum arrives in Manila on Tuesday with Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz, to meet with the Filipino ring icon and discuss the available options for his next fight, including a possible megabuck showdown with Mayweather in November.
Arum told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard today that he knows Mayweather wants to do the fight in November, noting that the American will need a tune-up fight before facing Pacquiao.
“The Mayweather camp was trying to figure out who he fights and they would probably pick Robert Guerrero, because he (Mayweather) won’t pay Canelo Alvarez the money he (Alvarez) wants,” said Arum.
Arum referred to stories blaming him for standing in the way of a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight on May 5 as “nonsense.”
Arum said that last December, he was already looking at a fight in late May or early June for Pacquiao because May 5, which was the celebration of Cinco de Mayo in the US, was too early.
“May 5 is certainly too early. Manny is not going to be able to really spar safely until the beginning of April because of the nasty cut he suffered on his eyebrow in the Juan Manuel Marquez fight. That cut required 28 stitches,” said Arum.
The promoter also mentioned the fact that they planned to build a 45,000-seat open-air venue near the Wynn Hotel and Casino along the Las Vegas strip since the MGM Grand could only accommodate 16,000 for the fight, which boxing fans have been clamoring for over the past couple of years.Tags: Manny Pacquiao , Floyd Mayweather Jr. , Mayweather-Pacquiao , Mayweather vs Pacquiao , Bob Arum