Arum: Mayweather-Guerrero in Play, The Event Will Fail

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Harvard law graduate and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has described the judge’s ruling, which allowed Floyd Mayweather Jr. to postpone serving his 90 day prison term from January 6 to June 1 to allow him to comply with a May 5th fight date as “the most bizarre thing I’ve ever heard.”

Celebrities who gravitate towards Mayweather were in the courtroom when Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa granted the motion of Mayweather’s lawyers to postpone his incarceration claiming the undefeated Mayweather had a May 5 contractual obligation for a fight against a still unnamed opponent which created further doubts about the soundness of the judge’s decision.

Among those present were rap star Lil’ Kim and R&B artist Ray J. Mayweather was in a holding area in the lobby of a building near the courthouse.

Judge Saragosa said she was swayed by lawyer Richard Wright’s appeal to allow Mayweather to postpone his serving of sentence so he could begin training for a May 5 fight.

The lawyer emphasized that Mayweaher wasn’t trying to avoid the sentence even as he cited the potential economic windfall from a fight that would attract hotel guests and boxing fans to Las Vegas for the fight. Wright estimated that Mayweather’s last seven fights generated a combined $1 billion and projected the May 5 fight would bring in more than $100 million.

Prosecutor Liza Luzaich protested the judge’s decision stating that Mayweatyher should serve his sentence “just like anyone else” but Judge Saragosa noted that while Mayweather had an obligation to the court he had other obligations based on which she granted the request.

In an overseas telephone conversation with Standard, Arum said Mayweather “is apparently going to fight Robert Guerrero. Can you believe that. They won’t do any business at all.”

Arum claimed that MGM Grand which Mayweather’s camp had long announced as the venue for the planned May 5 fight even before he was sentenced to a prison term, was “bulls**t because MGM didn’t want to give him the date until they found out what (Manny) Pacquiao was doing. Mayweather brings in no business.”

While he is sticking to the four fighters he had mentioned as possible opponents for Pacquiao’s next fight which is likely to take place in late May or June, Arum claimed that Mayweather had “no intention of fighting Pacquiao now and I don’t blame them. You need time. It's sensible that Mayweather fights somebody like Guerrero which is an easy fight, he goes to jail in June, he’ll be out at the end of July or the beginning of August and then we have plenty of time to do a Pacquiao fight in November.”

Asked whether he is looking ahead at a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in November, the world’s top promoter replied, “Absolutely. If Manny is successful in his fight in June.”

The four opponents from whom Pacquiao will choose a few days after meeting with Arum and Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz on Tuesday are WBA/IBF light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson, WBA champion Timothy Bradley, WBO super welterweight champion Miguel Cotto and WBA lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez.

Arum said he is “leaning to nobody” adding that he is “going to make Manny choose for himself after I lay everything out.”

The judge’s decision which stood in contrast to her tough talk when sentencing Mayweather and turning down a request for house arrest which was even supported by the girlfriend whom he beat up and the mother of his three children, Josie Harris, opened the way for a Mayweather fight in May but it won’t be a megabuck fight with Pacquiao which the boxing world has long been looking forward to.

The 34 year old Mayweather had pleaded guilty last month to a reduced battery domestic violence charge and no contest to two harassment charges in a case involving an attack on his ex-girlfriend in September 2010 and was scheduled to begin serving a 90-day jail sentence today.

Lance Pugmire of the LA Times reported that Mayweather’s adviser Leonard Ellerbe issued a statement following Judge Saragosa’s ruling stating "We are pleased that the judge granted postponement of Floyd's surrender date so that he can fulfill his commitment to Las Vegas to deliver his promised mega-fight and the economic benefits it provides to the community."

Asked if that "mega-fight" meant a bout against Pacquiao, Ellerbe said, "We'll make an announcement about who we're going to fight next week. We just came out of the ... court hearing. Give us a chance to catch our breath."

In proposing a Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown in November, Arum had earlier indicated he wanted to look into the possibility of building a temporary arena that could seat up to 40,000 people because of the obvious demand from fight fans pointing out that a 16,000 seat venue like the MGM Grand would not suffice.

The promoter also mentioned the fact that a deep cut suffered by Pacquiao on his eye in his fight against Juan Manuel Marquez was still healing and he was not certain whether the “Fighter of the Decade will be ready to begin sparring by April which makes a late May or early June fight practical.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Convicted_Felon on 01-08-2012

After November 12th, Pacquiao's business is going to take a major hit. After all, what's the sense of paying attention to Pacquiao when we already know his team wants to keep him far from Floyd. Bob Arum has built Manny…

Comment by KingTito on 01-07-2012

Bob Arum is what's wrong with boxing.

Comment by Pony Boy on 01-07-2012

Why is Arum so concern about Floyd not making good sells? If his so worried lock in the fight with Manny. Period otherwise the easiest way out is to say "there's nothing there for us." Plain and simple way to…

Comment by JubeiDOK on 01-07-2012

It's called the power of suggestion. Let's say you are trying to sell a product and your competitor is also trying to sell a similar product. You gain some inside info on how that competitor plans to sell that product.…

Comment by Ringlife on 01-07-2012

Pacman needs to tell Bob that he wants this fight or this fight isn't happening I mean come on whats wrong with May 5th it's the best day for this fight to happen. Bob Arum wants to be in control…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (62)
Top Headlines Manny Pacquiao Gets in One Last Workout Before Leaving To LA Hearn: I 100% Want Anthony Joshua vs. David Haye in 2017 Parker vs. Ruiz: Duco Looking For Goverment Funding For Event Jean Pascal Not Yet Ready For Ring Return, Says Trainer Photo: Victor Terrazas, Eduardo Hernandez on Weight For War Vargas: It's My Time, After I Beat Pacquiao - A Star Will Be Born! Erislandy Lara Still Has a Target on The Back of Gennady Golovkin Photos: Luis Nery, Richie Mepranum Set For War in Tijuana Joselito Velasquez, Mexican Olympian, To Be Trained By Robles Wladimir Klitschko, Lucas Browne Far Apart On Money For 12/10 Photos: Canelo is Officially Belted in Puerto Rico By The WBO Cotto Says Canelo Rematch is a Subject For Discussion Danny Williams Returns, Faces Ali Eren Demirezen in Hamburg Edis Tatli Takes on Manuel Lancia on December 17 Canelo vs. Saunders Showdown Fully Backed By WBO Prez Weights: David Lemieux, Cristian Fabian Rios Ready To Fight Eggington Predicts Damage: I'm Going To Do a Job on Gavin Jeff Horn Ready For IBF Strap: 100%, Bring on Errol Spence! Hooker Plans on Testing Perez's Chin Early on Kovalev vs. Ward Marin, Pintor Make Weight For Boxeo Telemundo Season Finale Photo: Micki Nielsen, Kevin Lerena Ready For Battle Abel Sanchez Very Confident That Andy Ruiz Beats Joseph Parker Frampton: I'll Make it Two-Nil, Santa Cruz Only Fights One Way! Golovkin's Coach: I Doubt Canelo Will Last Eight or Nine Rounds Jeff Horn Crushes Rico Mueller As Title Shot Nears David Haye: Fans Want Me To Smash Tony Bellew, Shut Him Up Joshua Taylor Tabbed To Become World Champion By McGuigan Tim Bradley: I Need To Retire A Winner, Capture One More Title Eric Molina: I'll Fight Anthony Joshua or David Price on Dec. 10 Canelo: It Would Be an Honor To Rematch Miguel Cotto Kevin Lerena Confident of Knocking Micki Nielsen Out Dejan Zlaticanin: I'm Fighting Mikey Garcia on January 28 Custio Clayton Stops Ramses Agaton in Eight Rounds in Montreal WBO Prez To Canelo Critics: Why Did Golovkin Reject Andre Ward! Terence Crawford Seeks Foe For 12/10, Antonio Orozco Next? Chavez Sr. Expects His Son To Return Stronger, Better Than Ever Jessie Magdaleno, Oscar Valdez Discuss Their PPV Fights Golovkin, Sanchez Frown at Golden Boy's Offer To Face Canelo Charlo-Williams, Cuellar-Mares, Promoted By Schaefer, on Dec. 10 Photos: LaRon Mitchell, Scott Alexander Ready For Battle

Latest Active Forum Threads