by Ronnie Nathanielsz
WORLD Boxing Organization super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (28-1, 18 KOs) will see action on June 16, one week after pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao defends his WBO welterweight title against undefeated junior welterweight Timothy Bradley at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on June 9.
However, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that Donaire, who has won four world titles in four different weight divisions so far, while Pacquiao has won eight, will not face Mexican warrior Jorge “Travieso” Arce (59-6-2, 45 KOs) as earlier planned.
“We will have to look for another opponent because Arce will not be able to fight him (Donaire) until September or something like that,” said Arum.
The Top Rank promoter said the opponent could be Japan’s World Boxing Council champion, the southpaw Toshiaki Nishioka, although there is nothing definite yet.
The 35-year-old Nishioka ( 39-4-3, 24 KOs) is an accomplished fighter, who won the 122-pound WBC title with a 12th-round technical knockout over Mexico’s Genaro Garcia in Yokohama on Jan. 3, 2009 and has successfully defended the title six times against solid opponents.
In his last fight, Nishioka scored a unanimous 12-round decision over Mexican Rafael Marquez, brother of Juan Manuel Marquez. He declined to fight Donaire earlier in the year because he wanted to take a rest, although he indicated he was prepared to face the Filipino later in the year.
Arce, who relinquished the WBO super bantamweight title enabling Donaire to win the vacant crown from former champion Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. last Feb. 4 in San Antonio, Texas is scheduled to fight Lorenzo Parra in a 10-round non-title bout on Feb. 18Tags: Nonito Donaire , Jorge Arce , Donaire vs Arce , Donaire-Arce