by David P. Greisman
Any change in the weight limit for this Saturday’s fight between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Bryan Vera has not been decided on just yet, according to promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank.
“We’re going to take a look at what the fighters weigh tomorrow and decide what the weight limit will be on the fight,” Arum said during a Sept. 24 media conference call. “Right now there’s no determination on that.”
The rumblings about this began on Monday after a tweet from David Faitelson of ESPN Deportes, who reported that the weight limit for the bout had been moved up to 173 pounds.
The early reports after Chavez-Vera was signed said that the bout would take place at 164 or 165 pounds, depending on which article you read. In July, it was reported that both fighters had agreed on the weight limit being the super middleweight limit of 168 pounds, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.com.
Arum chalked up this storyline to comments made by Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., who is training his son for the bout.
“I know what Julio Senior said, but I really believe that at the time he said it, he misspoke,” Arum said.
For what it’s worth, Chavez Jr. claimed on Tuesday that he currently weighs 173 pounds.
Pick up a copy of David’s new book, “Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing,” at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsamazon. Send questions/comments via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tags: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr , Bryan Vera , Chavez-Vera , Chavez vs. Vera