Manny Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum is "optimistic" a rematch between his fighter and Jeff Horn will be confirmed in the next few days, he stated on Thursday.
Arum said the parties in Australia were eyeing a November date in the same Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, where last month Horn beat Pacquiao by way of a twelve round unanimous decision before a crowd of over 51,000. Some felt the outcome was under controversial circumstances.
There was an immediate rematch clause in the contract, which Pacquiao exercised. The current working date is November 11.
A temporary cover would be constructed at the outdoor arena to cover the ring and the first 10 rows of spectators, a precaution in case of rain, he said.
"Manny's on board, Horn's on board," Top Rank promoter Arum stated to Reuters.
"The parties in Australia are meeting the Queensland government authorities on Saturday and hopefully the meeting goes well."
Horn's surprise welterweight victory over Pacquiao created a situation where the Filipino icon was mulling the possibility of retirement.
Many observers thought the 38-year-old Pacquiao had clearly won and were outraged by the unanimous decision to Horn. The judges saw it 117-111, 115-113, 115-113.
A World Boxing Organization had their own scoring review with five independent judges and later endorsed Horn as the rightful winner.
"I wasn't outraged," Arum said. "I thought it was very close."
He added that the WBO would submit a list of three potential referees and 10 judges for the rematch, and that both camps would agree on which to use.