Arum: 90% of Fans Don't Care About The PPV Undercard
By Edward Chaykovsky
Earlier today, Top Rank revealed the HBO pay-per-view undercard to the Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley rematch, taking place on April 12th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. As part of the card, Ray Beltran and Rocky Martinez will collide in a lightweight eliminator, Khabib Allakhverdiev will defend his WBA 'regular' junior welterweight title against Jessie Vargas, and Bryan Vasquez defends his WBA interim-super featherweight belt against undefeated contender Jose Felix.
Not everybody was pleased with the undercard lineup. Speaking with scribe Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum explained that most fans do not care about the actual undercard and they are only influenced to purchase a pay-per-view show on the strength of the main event. He doesn't believe the undercard for this card, or any PPV card, has a huge impact on the buyrate figures.
"In theory, yes, it makes sense to say, let's go get a lot of good, interesting fights and put them on the [pay-per-view] undercard, but the truth is – and I've been doing this a long, long time – 90 percent of the people don't want to see the undercard and don't care about it," Arum said. "But there is a point to the argument that we should give the other 10 percent something to watch that they'll enjoy, so we decided to try to put together a fun card for them."
[QUOTE=Sun Diego;14192600]Agree. Plus sometimes the undercard fights are more entertaining then the main event which leaves a good inpression on the casual fans whom in return may look forward for the next event. When you spend $75 and the entire…Comment by El Malo. on 02-01-2014
[QUOTE=mathed;14188118]90% of fans care about spending $75.00 for 3 schit fights and a good main event. Charge $45.00 for your PPV's and no one would complain.....but we all know it ain't happening.[/QUOTE] Agree. Plus sometimes the undercard fights are more…Comment by JoeMan on 02-01-2014
That's probably why Showtime is losing money. SHO/GBP spend more than they make as opposed to HBO/TR spending less, but makes more...On Mayweather fights alone, SHO will go bankrupt in no time starting from his $40 million guarantee, then he…Comment by sweetpea87 on 02-01-2014
I'm in the 10% that does care about the undercard. If I have to pay the now ridiculous price of $75 for a PPV, the I want to see good match ups the whole night. I have bought PPV with…Comment by LeonSpinxMwfpce on 02-01-2014
[quote=Beater_of_ass] People don't give a **** about the undercard when it's f*cking garbage and that's what Top Rank usually does. Canelo is a decent fighter but nothing special and the right matching on Floyd's cards for so long made him…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (146)