By Shaun Brown
Liverpool’s Paul Smith 35-3 (20) announced on Ringside earlier this evening that his challenge for Arthur Abraham’s WBO Super-Middleweight title is almost signed, sealed and delivered.
Smith, 31, faces a major step-up in class when he takes on the two-weight world champion on Sept. 27, in Germany, at a venue to be confirmed. Smith insists he is full of respect for Abraham 40-4 (28) but is going to grasp the opportunity with both hands.
“I’m going to be training behind the scenes like a madman. I honestly think he’s ripe for the picking. I’m not underestimating him. He’s been through the mill and had a lot of hard fights,” said the former British 168lb champion.
And Smith referred to a fellow Brit’s win over Abraham as the best way to beat him.
“Carl [Froch] showed the perfect way to beat him [in 2010]. I’ve said time and time again he’s a great champion and I’m gonna give everything I’ve got. My style’s made for him but his style’s made for me.”
Please send news and views to [email protected] or @shaun_brown on Twitter.