Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Anthony Mundine Wants Cotto or Canelo Clash Next

By Adrian Warren

Bring on the best - that was Anthony Mundine's confident declaration after he beat ageing and stricken American superstar Shane Mosley in their bout for the vacant WBA International super welterweight title on Wednesday.

The 42-year-old Mosley had to retire after the sixth round following what doctor Lou Lewis described as a severe back spasm.

While the nature of the stoppage disappointed some of the crowd at Sydney's Allphones Arena, Mosley said he couldn't move, with Lewis and referee Raul Caiz Sr confirming the fighter was genuinely hurt.

An honest Mosley said he believed Mundine was in front at the time of the stoppage, all three judges agreeing with the verdict.

A gracious Mundine expressed sympathy to Mosley, but was looking to capitalise on securing the biggest scalp of his career after producing one of his best performances.

The 38-year-old Australian still hankers for a shot at peerless WBA champion Floyd Mayweather.

While the win and his new title should improve his current ranking of tenth, he doesn't expect to get the next crack at the unbeaten American.

He is prepared to face the likes of former champions and Mayweather victims, Miguel Cotto and Saul Alvarez on his way to reeling in Mayweather.

"I just want the best, I don't care," Mundine told AAP. "Obviously I want Floyd (Mayweather, he's) the best of the best. But that's not going to happen (next). You've got to do your time and beat the right fighters There's Cotto out there, there's Alvarez.

"They are the type of calibre of fighters I want to fight."

A foot blister was Mundine's only slight post-fight injury.

He ruled out a rematch with Mosley, who said he would wait till he got home and looked at a tape of the fight before deciding whether to retire.

Mosley, who had never previously been stopped, wasn't sure whether the nature of Mundine's win would open the door to the Australian fighting in the United States.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by panicchaser on 11-28-2013

Cotto or Canelo?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man... AHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Good 1 Mundine... good 1!!:boxing::boxing:

Comment by PittyPat on 11-28-2013

Mundine totally looks like that guy 'Sucre' from Prison Break.

Comment by NELSONMELENDEZ2 on 11-28-2013

You beat a washed up mosely relax youll never fight these cotto or canelo your reaching for the stars why not ask for mayweather. Mosely will be your biggest victory. Fight cotto or canelos brothers

Comment by MAXIMUS~RICO~13 on 11-28-2013

Ggg please !!!

Comment by artfuL_ on 11-27-2013

Give the man what he wants. Mundine is ready to take-over :ugh:

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (36)
Top Headlines Photos: Rodriguez-Narvaez, Vargas, Lopez - Telemundo Weigh-In Canelo: Golovkin Received His Biggest Offer - Do Not Blame Me! Video: Joseph Parker, Kevin Barry Discuss Hughie Fury Defense Gervonta Davis Has No Issue Heading To UK For Walsh Defense Kovalev's Promoter: Ward's Side Continue To Ignore Rematch Talks Dusty Harrison Arrested, Being Held on Gun Charge Brian Viloria vs. Ruben Montoya Set For March 2 in Japan Photos: Maurice Hooker vs. Cristobal Cruz - Official Weigh-In Horn's Promoter: Pacquiao Felt Pressure, Chasing Fantasy Offer Photos: Pearson-DeLoach, Tabiti, Rodriguez - Official Weigh-In Photos: Canelo, Chavez Jr. Swarmed By Fans at Houston Presser Photos: Hurd-Harrison, Breazeale-Ugonoh - Go Face To Face Maurice Hooker vs. Cristobal Cruz Set For Friday in Tijuana Photos: Deontay Wilder, Gerald Washington - Go Face To Face De La Hoya is Firm: Chavez Jr. Can Derail Canelo vs. Golovkin Russian Boxing Scene Update: Upcoming Events Joshua Pleads With Wilder To Start Fighting Better Opponents Chavez Jr. Aims To Reclaim Lost Fans By Knocking Off Canelo Photo: Lucian Bute, Eleider Alvarez on Weight, Ready For Battle Washington: I Have A lot That Deontay Wilder Hasn't Seen Before Usyk-Hunter, Gvozdyk-Gonzalez Added To Lomachenko-Sosa British Boxing News: Flanagan-Petrov, Skeete-Singleton, Jay Harris Holyfield Joins PBC Broadcast Team For Wilder-Washington WBC Outlines, Explains The 'Clean Boxing' Drug Testing Program Hughie Fury On Verge of Losing Parker Shot, Must Sign Contract Dmitry Bivol Pounds, Stops Robert Berridge in Four Rounds Tony Bellew: I Want To Be Out Of Boxing Within 12 Months Izu Ugonoh on Signing His Deal With Al Haymon Wilder Aims To Send Message With Statement KO of Washington Jacobs' Adviser: Golovkin Will Pay on 3/18 for Canelo Negotiations Chavez Jr: Canelo Alvarez is Afraid of Gennady Golovkin! Frank Warren: I Strongly Fancy Walsh To Beat Gervonta Davis Braekhus Feels Refreshed With New Team, Plans For Showcase Joe Ham To Fight For Belt On Burns vs. Indongo Card De La Hoya: Canelo Would Beat Mayweather 'Easy' in Rematch! Luke Campbell Hopes To Get a Crack at Mikey Garcia's Title Chavez: I've Fought Better Opponents Than Canelo, I Can't Lose! Angel Garcia and The New York State Athletic Commission Horn's Promoter Will Wait To See How Pacquiao-Khan Plays Out Sullivan Barrera Denies Receiving Contract For Beterbiev Fight
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement