Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Anthony Joshua Discusses Pro Run, Olympic Return, More

By Phil D. Jay

London 2012 Olympic super-heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua has told WBN that he is committed to seeing out the remainder of his GB boxing contract, but remains coy on his longer-term future as talk of a pro run intensifies.

The Watford fighter became hot property to the world’s biggest promotional companies when he bulldozed his way to gold at the recent games and at 22, has the potential to be the next heavyweight superstar in the sport.

Joshua is biding his time before making a formal decision on his career and now that he has tasted success at the highest level, is looking to continue his winning form after his breakout performance last month.

“You know what, I feel good, but hungry for more,” Joshua told World Boxing News.

“Winning the medal was amazing but I’m ready to get back in the gym and it’s just made me even hungrier for success. I hate losing and I was not prepared to lose at the games and I’m not prepared to lose in the future. What I achieved was great for the country and for my family. Being part of Team GB and achieving what we did was a special experience that I will never forget.”

Media speculation has hit fever pitch since Joshua’s exploits, but the Londoner is unfazed as pressure mounts on him to make his move into the paid ranks and breathe some life into a dormant division.

“All the talk is fine, it doesn’t bother me,” he said. “I guess it just comes with the territory you know. I still have so much to learn. Time is what I need right now and I intend to give myself enough to learn and improve.”

Asked whether he would be looking to learn from obvious mistakes made by Britian’s last 91kg+ champion Audley Harrison, Joshua replied: “Not really no. Audley did what was right for him and I will do what I think is best for me and my career. There is no need to rush anything I am still young and have only had 43 amateur fights.

“I have definitely thought about (defending my title in 2016 at the Rio games). The possibility of being a double Olympic champion is pretty amazing. I would still only be 26 by that time, but then again, four years is a long time.

“I am just relaxing at the moment and not letting it take up too much of my thinking time.

“There have been no offers to turn professional and I have people around me who help me deal with that sort of thing anyway.

“A decision has been made and I will definitely be staying amateur until the end of my GB contract and after that, I will sit down with my family, coaches and team to discuss the possibility of extending that contract.”

Phil D. Jay covers boxing for worldboxingnews.net

Tags: Anthony Joshua image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Uncle Rodge on 09-03-2012

[QUOTE=Earl Hickey;12474831]less than 5 posts before someone (other than me) mentions savon[/QUOTE] He lost. Deal with it.

Comment by D-MiZe on 09-03-2012

I'll assume his contract expires before 2016, somewhere around the Commonwealth games. He hasn't had the temptation of any pro offers yet either, which is surprising. What Olympic gold medallist who ' bulldozed ' his way to first doesn't receive…

Comment by Earl-Hickey on 09-03-2012

less than 5 posts before someone (other than me) mentions savon

Comment by joe strong on 09-03-2012

turn pro!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (4)
Top Headlines Murata: N'dam First, Ultimately Shooting for GGG-Canelo Winner 'PBC on FOX' Tripleheader Averaged 1.48 Million Viewers Saturday Pulev: It Was Tough Decision To Withdraw From Joshua Fight Bermane Stiverne Signs Contract For Deontay Wilder Rematch Anthony Joshua Admits He's in "No Rush" To Fight in United States Showtime Viewership Went Down During Lara-Gausha Main Event Luis Nery Sets Return, Faces Arthur Villanueva on November 4 Rey Vargas To Defend WBC Belt in HBO Co-Feature To Cotto vs. Ali News: Hall of Fame Update, Steve Forbes Sets Card, More Damien Vazquez, Blair Cobbs, Tye Brooks Win in Mexico HBO Sports Head: I Commend Cotto For Facing a Young, Hungry Ali Saunders vs. Lemieux Deal Reached For December 16, HBO Photos: Miguel Cotto, Sadam Ali - Go Face To Face in New York Canelo-Golovkin: Golden Boy’s Prez: Open to Rematch in March Joshua: Takam is Tough, Late Switch Has Not Affected Camp Malignaggi: I'm The Biggest Fight, Biggest Money For McGregor! Photos: Joe Joyce, Ian Lewison Grinding Hard at Workouts Hearn Feels Takam Will Be More Durable Than Pulev in Joshua Bout Ricky Hatton Confident That Zhakiyanov Will Shock Burnett Team Sauerland, SPORT1 Agree on Three Year TV Deal World Boxing Super Series Cruiserweight Final in Saudi Arabia Ray Beltran Manager is Fired Up - Tears Apart Terry Flanagan David Benavidez: Golovkin Not Slowing Down, A lot of Years Left Spence: Lamont Peterson Was the Welterweight Willing to Step Up! Frank Warren on Amir Khan: Perfect Return Bout is Bradley Skeete! Hearn: Bellew The Favorite in Rematch, Haye is Over if He Loses Shane McGuigan Has No Regrets Over Split With Frampton, Haye Lauren Confident That She Will Get Revenge on Cecilia Braekhus Conrad Cummings Inks With MTK Global Groves: If I Box Like I Did With Cox - Then Eubank Has No Chance! Beterbiev: I Was Ready For Andre Ward - I'm Ready For Anyone News: Nurse vs. Catterall, Mohamed Soltby, Andrew Moloney Botha: Joseph Parker is Like Muhammad Ali - He Can Unify Belts Suddenly, Promoting The 154-Pounders is a Growth Industry Wilder: Anthony Joshua Don't Sound Confident About Us Fighting! Derry Mathews Staying Away, Not Planning To Make Return NSAC Head: Adalaide Byrd Not Suspended, Expect Her Back Soon Adonis Stevenson vs. Eleider Alvarez Confirmed For 2018 Rigondeaux: I'm Not a Dead Body Like Other Lomachenko Foes Malignaggi: Haymon, Dana White Spoke About McGregor Fight
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement