Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Andre Ward on The Goossen Dispute, Top Rank Rumors

By Ryan Maquiñana

Super middleweight champion Andre Ward explained the reasons behind his recent arbitration dispute with promoter Dan Goossen on HBO’s The Fight Game Saturday night.

Ward had called for an emergency hearing with the California State Athletic Commission last Tuesday as he was seeking a release from his contract with Goossen, his promoter since 2004.  However, on Friday, the commission ruled in favor of upholding the contract and the extension Ward signed in 2011.

 “I simply want my co-promoter Antonio Leonard, who has been my co-promoter since 2008 when he bought out Square Ring, Roy Jones’s company, and my trusted advisor and manager [James Prince], who frankly I’ve known long before I ever met Dan Goossen, to be at the negotiating table and in the room talking to the network and helping to negotiate my fights,” Ward said.

Goossen informed BoxingScene.com/CSNBayArea.com earlier this spring that Ward was targeting a September return, and it appeared that Ward was still amenable to patching things up as long as his terms were met.

“This is the way I want these things to be done,” Ward said.  “I’m the captain of my ship and I’m the boss of my team.  I am the guy that’s leading the charge, and as long as everybody understands that, and respects that, then we can move forward with the fight in September.  But if we don’t have an understanding, which it looks like we don’t right now, then we have a major problem.”

Speculation has run rampant that if successful with his release, that Ward would sign with Top Rank and CEO Bob Arum in order to secure a fight down the line with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.  Ward denied that was the case when host Jim Lampley asked him first if he was eyeing a move to Top Rank, and second, if he was pursuing a Chavez clash.

“That’s a two-part question,” Ward said.  “I’ll agree with the latter part, but the former part is just flat-out wrong, and it’s really unfortunate because I’ve seen a lot of writers I respect run with that story without talking to me first.

“That’s a very superficial reason to try to leave a promoter.  You know, I’m a man of my word, and as long as my contract is binding, I’m going to adhere to my contract like I always have.  And people have to understand that litigation, these types of things, lawsuits, they cost money, and that’s the wrong reason to get out of a contract.”

Ward then turned his attention to a possible Chavez fight, which he believed could be finalized without having to jump ship to Top Rank.

“Frankly, I think that fight can be made,” Ward said.  “I don’t think that’s a fight that Bob is running from.  People have to understand that Dan Goossen and my team successfully negotiated with Bob to close the [Kelly] Pavlik deal.  That deal was signed, sealed, and delivered before I got hurt.

“I just think that’s a fight with Chavez Jr. that can be made the way things are right now.  As long as Chavez wants it, I want it, the I’m sure HBO wants it, the fans want to see it.  And those are the type of major fights—not just a premium network fight, but a major pay-per-view fight that I’m in line for, and I think Chavez wants it and everyone involved wants it.”

Ryan Maquiñana was the boxing producer for NBCOlympics.com during London 2012 and writes a weekly column for CSNBayArea.com.  He is a full member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and the Ratings Panel for Ring Magazine. E-mail him at rmaquinana@gmail.com , check out his blog at Norcalboxing.net, or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by nycsmooth on 07-01-2013

I don't believe the Cal commish, Andy Foster, will honor it as an emergency...when he was GA commish, 90% of his dealing was MMA...he's not, IMO , capable of handling this....jr needs a bout vs Ward, 4 1 reason only,…

Comment by Bigg Rigg on 07-01-2013

[QUOTE=kokingbill;13521630]Should we read anything into the fact that he refers to Bob Arum as "Bob" and Dan Goosen by his full name? It seems like he mist have been in communication with "Bob" to be on a first name basis…

Comment by Bigg Rigg on 07-01-2013

Yea but as a promoter if it hadn't been that way before then I can see why goosen isn't with that.

Comment by kokingbill on 07-01-2013

Should we read anything into the fact that he refers to Bob Arum as "Bob" and Dan Goosen by his full name? It seems like he mist have been in communication with "Bob" to be on a first name basis…

Comment by anonymous2.0 on 07-01-2013

Where's Goosen's side of the story?

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (5)
Top Headlines Whyte: We Are Trying To Make Noise To Get The Wilder Fight White: Malignaggi Had To Leave, He Got His Ass Whooped Bad! Billy Dib vs. Guillaume Frenois Eliminator For Gervonta Davis Terence Crawford-Julius Indongo: Risk All Around Mayweather: McGregor 'Extremely Dirty' Even With Cortez in Camp McGregor: I'm Confident I'll Walk Through Mayweather's Shots Arum Aims To Finalize Pacquiao-Horn Rematch Soon, at Suncorp Beterbiev-Koelling, Magdaleno-Juarez To Land at Cosmo in Vegas Video: Bryant Jennings Talks Joseph Parker, Future Plans Video: Julius Indongo Ready For Terence Crawford Showdown Video: Dillian Whyte Talks Wilder, Parker, American Debut Frampton vs. Gutierrez Will Not Be Rescheduled, Now Cancelled Mayweather Assesses What He Saw in McGregor-Malignaggi Sparring Mike Gavronski vs. Bryan Vera Set For September 9 Espinoza on Why SHO Rejected McGregor-Malignaggi Footage Alex Saucedo vs. Gustavo Vittori on Top Rank's Sept. 22 Card Bob Arum Talks Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux News: Andre Ward Update, Cornflake LaManna, Lucien Reid, More David Benavidez vs. Ronald Gavril Lands on Showtime, Sept. 8 Photos: Alberto Machado, Carlos Morales - Ready For War Photos: Crawford, Indongo - Face To Face at Final Presser Anthony Joshua: No Problem Fighting Luis Ortiz, But Pulev is Next Floyd Mayweather With New Venture, Starts Gym Franchise McGregor 'Very Pleased' With NSAC Picks for Referee, Judges Shawn Porter Withdraws From Thomas Dulorme Clash Skoglund Sparring With Kessler, Ready To Shock Callum Smith Kopylenko vs. Scott Set For September 15 in Rosemont Tyron Zeuge vs. Isaac Ekpo Ordered To Purse Bid on August 28 Roach Says He'll Pick Sparring Partners for Pacquiao This Time Indongo Does Not Rule Out Lipinets Mandatory Showdown Roach: Mikey Garcia Wants Pacquiao - I'd Love To See That Fight! Sanchez: Canelo Best Counter-Puncher, Not Biggest Puncher for GGG Cleverly: Me and Badou Jack Could Be 'Real Fight' of The Night Maurice Hooker on Return, Feels Crawford Will Stop Indongo Late Bradley Skeete Vows To Chase Down Jeff Horn Title Fight Arum Eyes Joseph Parker vs. Bryant Jennings, Next Spring on ESPN 30 Day Weight: Gennady Golovkin Comes in at 170-Pounds McGregor: I Don't Even Believe Mayweather Will Exit Round One! Alamo-Vaas, Ortiz-Lavinanza: WBC Belts at Stake in Puerto Rico NSAC Head: Glove Change Was in Best Interest of Fighters, Fans
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement