By Rick Reeno
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Andre Berto (28-1, 22KOs) suffered a left arm injury on Monday while training at the Ten Goose Gym in Van Nuys, California. Berto was preparing for his scheduled welterweight rematch with fellow former champion Victor Ortiz(29-3-2, 22KOs).
Victor Conte, the strength and conditioning coach for Berto, advised BoxingScene.com that his fighter ruptured his left bicep during a sparring session. Berto had previously injured the same bicep during his eight round stoppage of Carlos Quintana on April 10, 2010. After suffering the injury on Monday, Berto was taken to the hospital where an MRI was taken and the injury was confirmed. Berto will have to undergo surgery, and it may take place as early as Tuesday.
"Andre ruptured the same left bicep that he had surgery on previously. It's my understanding that he hurt it throwing a short left hook to the head during sparring. Andre is having surgery and I was told that the fight is definitely off," Conte told BoxingScene.com.
Berto-Ortiz was going to take place on February 11th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Showtime was going to televise the bout with junior middleweights Erislandy Lara and Ronald Hearns as the opener.
Golden Boy Promotions and DiBella Entertainment will obviously look to reschedule this fight, but the new date is going to depend on the amount of time needed for Berto's recovery.
They first clashed on April 16th at the Foxwoods Resort and Casino in Mashantucket, Conn. Both boxers were knocked down twice in a twelve round brawl. Ortiz won a unanimous decision.
Tags: Andre Berto , Victor Ortiz , Berto vs Ortiz , Berto-Ortiz