Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
ANBF Denies Corruption Claim in Williams vs. Botha Bout - Boxing News
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
 Boxing Articles
 Boxing Interviews
 Breaking News
 Boxing Press Releases
 Boxing Results
 World Boxing News
Follow BoxingScene
 
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
 Register A Free Account
 Account Login
 Boxing Schedule
 Boxing Champions
 Boxing Downloads
 Boxing Forums
 Boxing News Wire
 Boxing Photos
 Boxing History
 Boxer Search
 Fantasy Betting
 Feedback
 Fitness and Health  
 Free Homepage
 Mixed Martial Arts
 Pound For Pound
 Upcoming Fight Archive
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  2/9/2013       Read more by Boxing Clever         
   
ANBF Denies Corruption Claim in Williams vs. Botha Bout
Share Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database 

Australian National Boxing Federation's John Hogg says the decision to cut short Sonny Bill Williams' WBA fight was made before the bout started.

Australian National Boxing Federation (ANBF) committee member John Hogg has rubbished claims the decision to cut short Sonny Bill Williams' controversial bout was made after the fight started.

However, the legitimacy of what was purported to be a WBA international heavyweight fight between Williams and South African veteran Francois Botha remains unclear.

Williams defeated Botha in a unanimous points decision on Friday night in Brisbane, but the former All Black copped a battering in the final round.

The fight, which was advertised and scheduled for 12 rounds as per WBA rules, was stopped after 10, drawing an angry reaction from Botha and jeers from the crowd.

Hogg says a last-minute decision to shelve the final two rounds was "unusual" but that it had been ticked off by officials after both camps agreed shortly before the fight started.

"Any suggestion that there was any decision made during the fight is just nonsense," Hogg told Fox Sports on Saturday.

"Any claim that it was cut back to 10 during the fight to save Sonny Bill is just nonsense, we wouldn't be party to that.

"Both parties told us it was cut back to 10 rounds, we had no time to try and check with the WBA to see if they were aware of what was happening.

"It wasn't for us to stand up and say `we don't agree, you need to fight 12'.

"It was a bit puzzling as to why it had been cut back to 10, but obviously both corners were in agreement."

It's understood Botha's management bizarrely failed to tell the 44-year-old it had been cut to 10 rounds.

Hogg's comments are in stark contrast to The Australian newspaper's report that ANBF vice-president Alan Moore, a ringside judge for the bout, had no idea it had been shortened to 10 rounds.

"When the ring announcer said over the loud speaker that it was the last round, that was the first we (judges) knew of any change," Moore was quoted as saying.

"Any international title fight is meant to be fought over 12 three-minute rounds. I have no idea what happened."

Hogg said the WBA did not have a representative at the bout.

"Normally these overseas bodies send someone locally there to be the supervisors for their title fight.

"...What agreement, whether the fight was formally sanctioned by the WBA, you'd have to ask the WBA or the promoter. We don't get involved in the sanctioning."

It means the legitimacy of Williams' WBA belt is being questioned.

Botha is expected to lodge a protest with the WBA.

NZ TAB head bookmaker Mark Stafford said his agency was stung by the fact the fight was cut to 10 rounds.

Stafford was unimpressed, saying it was the third time the TAB had been caught out by a Williams fight which didn't go the full distance.

Twice before, Williams had scheduled eight-round fights but they had stopped at six.

New Zealand heavyweight champion Williams, 27, pronounced himself satisfied with his sixth win from six professional fights but wouldn't be pressed on his future in boxing.

He now laces up his rugby league boots for an NRL campaign with the Sydney Roosters.

Tags: Francois Botha , Sonny Bill Williams


 

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by Ray*, on 02-10-2013
Shady as hell, they claimed this was done in secret, Botha manager now claimed he knew but didn't tell his own client, the judges had no idea and there was no WBA official there neither, the guy was out of his feet and might have been KO but all of a sudden the fight was over.

comment by ROSS CALIFORNIA, on 02-10-2013
Does sound shady to me.

comment by aussie-brawler, on 02-10-2013
I would love to get this liar to undergo the same questions hooked up to a lie detector.

comment by Reloaded, on 02-09-2013
They got to protect Sonny Bill because he is useless boxer and they are trying to cash in with football fans , the fight was rigged .

comment by Hougigo, on 02-09-2013
WTF, so it wasn't the first time his rounds changed mid-fight? Come on now

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (6) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Tyson Fury-Alexander Ustinov Lo...
  Stiverne-Wilder Will Soon Be Or...
  Thabiso Mchunu-Garrett Wilson o...
  Audley, Thompson, Tarver Ready ...
  Rubio Pushing To Get Mandatory ...
  Fred Evans Forced Out of The Co...
  Fury-Chisora Ticket Info For Mo...
  FFM Box Promotion's Event Takes...
  Adam Booth: Perez Ready For Any...
  Spadafora: No Surprise if Salka...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.