By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star
AMIR KHAN insists his world title fight will not be overshadowed by the controversy of David Haye-Dereck Chisora on July 14.
Bolton’s former world light-welterweight champion challenges unbeaten American Danny Garcia for the WBC title in Las Vegas a few hours after heavyweight rivals Haye and Chisora collide at Upton Park in what heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko described as a ‘freak show’.
Khan, 25, faces Garcia after last month’s rematch with Lamont Peterson was cancelled due to the American testing positive for a banned substance.
But Khan believes his first fight of 2012 should still be regarded as the main event on July 14.
He said: “Mine is a world title fight against an unbeaten fighter while the other one isn’t and will be totally one-sided. David is going to easily win and just walk straight through Chisora. I think he’s doing it just to shut him up – and Chisora needs shutting up and throwing out.”
And Khan is sure he’s the bigger draw.
“I don’t think it will take any limelight away from my fight,” he said.
“I apologized for the Peterson fight being cancelled and people losing money on flights and hotels, but I’m sure there will still be a big crowd coming out.
“There’s more interest in the States in my fight than Haye-Chisora definitely, 100%.
“No one’s heard of him there but I’m getting quite well known now.”
Tags: Amir Khan , David Haye , Dereck Chisora , Haye-Chisora , Haye vs Chisora