By Miguel Rivera
Multiple sources in the Mexican press are reporting that junior middleweight contender Alfredo Angulo (20-2, 17KOs) is going to return before the end of the year. Angulo spent the last seven months in an immigration detention center in El Centro, California. He was released on Tuesday, according to his lawyer Lucy Haro.
Angulo, who fought for Mexico in the 2004 Athens Olympics, said his work visa had expired in the United States and on the advice of his lawyers he surrendered to immigration authorities earlier this year. He was scheduled for a court date in April, but the appearance continued to get postponed until July. Angulo has been inactive since last November's TKO loss to James Kirkland in Cancun, Mexico.
Haro said "Alfredo did not expect this [type of delay] in the U.S., where the judicial system is a model for other countries. Right now Alfredo is not thinking about boxing, his priority is to see his daughter, which he hasn't seen in over 7 months. That comes before boxing."
Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions, said Angulo will "return to the ring before the end of the year."
Tags: Alfredo Angulo