Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
Alfonso Gomez Vows Redemption For The Cotto Loss - Boxing News
 
Follow BoxingScene
 
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  9/14/2011       Read more by Keith Idec         
   
Alfonso Gomez Vows Redemption For The Cotto Loss
Mobile Version Share Click Here To Email   Search BoxingScene Database 

By Keith Idec
 
The prevailing opinion is that Alfonso Gomez simply doesn’t possess the power or speed to make his fight against Saul Alvarez much different from his lopsided loss to Miguel Cotto.

The game, overmatched Gomez got dropped three times against Cotto, who stopped the popular former star of “The Contender” in the fifth round of their WBA welterweight title fight in April 2008 in Atlantic City. He has won each of his five fights since Cotto clobbered him, but none of those wins came against a fighter as young or as strong as the 21-year-old Alvarez (37-0-1, 27 KOs), who will defend the WBC super welterweight title against Gomez (23-4-2, 12 KOs) at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

“For my first try against Miguel Cotto,” Gomez, 30, said, “like I say, I never create excuses. But having a broken hand during training really didn’t prepare me properly for that fight. Nevertheless, in this instance I’m 100-percent healthy, I’m 100-percent motivated. And I feel like this is going to be a way for me to erase that loss that I had against Miguel Cotto, since a lot of critics and a lot of media have said that the outcome of this fight is going to be similar to the outcome of the Miguel Cotto fight.

“But they don’t know what was behind that loss, so for me it’s not going to be the same thing. It’s going to be different. It’s going to be action-packed. It’s not going to be a one-sided fight. I believe that this is a great opportunity for me to show that on that Miguel Cotto night, it was just a bad night for me. And like I say, I’m training really hard, there’s no injuries, no mishaps. So far the training has been excellent and I have no doubt that [Saturday] night is going to be 12 rounds of exciting boxing, and I know I’m going to be the world champion.”

The Alvarez-Gomez match will headline the Staples Center portion of an HBO Pay-Per-View split-site doubleheader that’ll feature the WBC welterweight title bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25 KOs) and Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) in Las Vegas. A sizeable crowd is expected because the fight will take place the day after Mexico’s independence day and Mexico’s Alvarez already has helped attract large crowds in the Los Angeles area.

The Mexican-born Gomez also resides in nearby Anaheim, Calif.

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, NJ., and BoxingScene.com.

Tags: Saul Alvarez , Alfonso Gomez , Alvarez-Gomez , Alvarez vs Gomez



 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by mshap, on 09-14-2011
agree that this is really nothing more than another 'showcase' fight for Alvarez -- at some point, they have to start putting him in against real guys

comment by Lac'em up, on 09-14-2011
What a ridiculous fight. Can't they find any legit opposition for " ol'e red?" Fighting Alfonso Gomez does nothing for his carreer but make him look more and more like Chavez Jr.

comment by UglyPug, on 09-14-2011
alvarez chin checks his ass up outta there before the 6th. . . LOL I still remember him rapping to Canelo and Canelo just had this look on his face, almost like he was about to start blushing ON BEHALF of gomez, and he replied with no emotion "i am a fighter, not a clown". HAHAHAH

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (3) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Jhonny Gonzalez' Promoter Eyes ...
  Team Canelo Hope To Begin Fight...
  Randy Caballero: I'm Stronger, ...
  Erik Morales Rejects The Idea o...
  Nicholas Walters Prefers Gonzal...
  Castellanos Asks WBC For Rocky ...
  Cotto Allowed Voluntary Defense...
  Abregu To Provodnikov: After I ...
  Hopkins: Kovalev Claiming Menta...
  Wilkins Santiago Ready For Mich...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.