By Phil D. Jay
Two-time world title challenger Alfonso Gomez was left disappointed last week when he was forced to pull out of a high-profile bout with Jessie Vargas on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto, which takes place this coming Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
The likeable 31 year-old, who shot to fame coming third on the first series of The Contender in 2004, has been suffering from back spasms in training leading to him being replaced by another former Contender star in Stevie Forbes and Gomez told WBN of his intention to face the winner of next week’s 140lb bout.
“I'm doing therapy right now at the Chivas USA Training Center with their head therapist Anthony Garcia and I’ve been doing that for a week now and will continue till its healed up,” Gomez told World Boxing News.
“Steve Forbes is an excellent fighter when he comes in at 100 percent, but given the time frame it all depends on Steve.
“I would definitely fight the winner. I’d like to pick up where I left off just one week before knocking Vargas out.”
Gomez blew himself up to 152lbs to challenge WBC light-middleweight champion Saul Alvarez last September and was stopped in six rounds. The Mexican now plans to campaign at light-welterweight or welterweight in future and hopes to gain a third world title chance in the coming months.
“I plan on working with a nutritionist to make a plan to be able to fight either at 140 or 147,” Gomez explained.
“Any fights out there are great and important fights because they'll be the ones taking me to another shot at a world title.
“I’m trying to be back as soon as possible but in the meantime y'all can get at me through GoBoxMe.com or my music at Hy3rid.com,” he added.