By Rick Reeno
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer denied circulating information that Devon Alexander (24-1, 13KOs) vs. Kell Brook (29-0, 19KOs) was going to be rescheduled as part of the big Showtime televised card on April 27th at Barclays Center in Brooklyn - where Danny Garcia will headline in a junior welterweight title defense against Zab Judah.
Eddie Hearn, who promotes Brook, told UK media members that Schaefer and Golden Boy were looking at the possibility of placing the Alexander fight on the April date.
Schaefer says the April date was briefly considered, but the financial numbers made it impossible to seriously consider. Besides Garcia-Judah headlining that event, there is also a middleweight title fight between Peter Quillin and Fernando Guerrero, Danny Jacobs will see action, and Dmitry Salita will face Hector Camacho Jr.
Alexander vs. Brook will find a new date, likely in May.
"The problem is, when you say something to Eddie, and that was something I was looking at, he thinks it's already done and then the first thing he does is he picks up the phone and he reports it. That's not true. The fact is it's too expensive of a night, so that's not going to happen. We're going to have find [Alexander-Brook] it's own date probably some time in May," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.
Golden Injuries Cause Scheduling Headaches
Alexander-Brook is not the only fight to get postponed for Golden Boy Promotions in the last couple of weeks. The first quarter of 2013 is barely complete and Schaefer is swamped with events falling through and having the difficult task of rescheduling them to new television dates.
Alexander-Brook was first scheduled for a Showtime televised date of January 19th in Los Angeles. Brook suffered an ankle injury and the fight was moved to a Showtime date of February 23rd in Detroit. Lucas Matthysse, who was originally booked for the January 19th undercard, was then moved to a Showtime date of January 26th in Las Vegas. Alexander announced a right bicep injury on Monday and the fight with Brook was postponed for a second time.
Last week WBA/WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia suffered a rib injury, and his fight with Zab Judah, scheduled to take place today, was moved to the Showtime date of April 27. That April date was originally booked for Paulie Malignaggi vs. Shane Mosley, which recently fell apart due to financial issues.
Then the injury bug struck again this week. Heavyweight Jonathan Banks suffered a thumb injury and withdrew from a scheduled rematch with Seth Mitchell, and that fight was the HBO televised co-feature, on February 16th, to Adrien Broner vs. Gavin Rees at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Schaefer says the recent storm of injuries have forced him to push back several fights that were being discussed for some of his other boxers in the Golden Boy stable.
"The problem is, when these injuries happen it's not like you can [push] a switch on and off and then you have another date. It's not easy to get another TV date, there is a lot of stuff going on [to get that done]. I always feel bad when fighters get injured, but it's not like 'oh, great I can fight in four weeks and oh, great I can get you a date in four weeks.' It doesn't work like that," Schaefer explained.
"I've been hit within a week with three injuries. First with Garcia, then with Devon Alexander and then Jonathan Banks. I had been planning to do certain shows in April and May and unfortunately with these postponements - it moves everything back. People I was planning to fight in April and May are now moving back to May and June to accommodate all of these cancellations. So everything that I had planned, it threw everything upside down.
"So that's where my focus is, the rescheduling of those fights and finalizing May 4th [the return of Floyd Mayweather Jr]. Once those pieces are in place, then we can focus on some of the fights that are being discussed - like the return of Leo Santa Cruz, like the return of Marco Maidana, bringing Lucas Matthysee back, getting a fight for Andre Berto set up. All of those things are going to be played out - once we have all of those other pieces that I just mentioned worked out."
Amir Khan's Return Still Being Worked On
The return of Amir Khan (27-3, 19KOs) is still being worked out for April 20th in the UK. Khan was looking to fight former welterweight champion Vyacheslav Senchenko (33-1, 22KOs) at a catch-weight. Senchenko is unable to get down below 146-pounds.
At this moment, Khan-Senchenko would be a big fight in the UK. Senchenko is fresh from his knockout victory over Manchester superstar Ricky Hatton. The KO loss derailed Hatton's anticipated comeback.
"I think Amir took some vacation and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I think there was some proposal made by the Khans to Senchenko's people but we haven't heard anything so I really have nothing to report," Schaefer said.
Golden Boy's matchmaker Robert Diaz recently told BoxingScene that he was planning to revisit the discussions with Senchenko's people. Diaz is hoping that a final round of discussions will help pave the way for a potential agreement.Tags: Devon Alexander , Amir Khan , Kell Brook , Richard Schaefer , Golden Boy Promotions , Alexander-Brook , Alexander vs Brook