By Ed Jackson
Alex Leapai's life story has been all about second chances, now the Australian boxer is plotting his route to a second shot at the heavyweight world title.
The 34-year-old father of six from Logan near Brisbane captured the attention of the nation earlier this year when he took on Ukraine's world champion Wladimir Klitschko in Germany.
Despite being stopped in five rounds by the dominant Klitschko, Leapai will return to the ring in October against American Malik Scott in Brisbane.
It's the first step in what Leapai hopes will be a road back to a second and more successful shot at the world title.
"We all get knocked down but you've just got to get back up and keep going," Leapai said at the announcement of the October 24 bout at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre today.
"I'm not going to give up until I've got that belt around my waist."
Leapai said he never thought of retiring following the Klitschko fight, despite pocketing a guaranteed $1.5 million just for stepping into the ring against the giant Ukrainian.
Scott is currently training in Austria as one of Klitschko's sparring partners and Leapai's trainer Noel Thornberry says the 33-year-old is a true test.
At 194cm, Scott will go into the fight with a height and reach advantage over Leapai and he currently holds a record of 36 wins - including 13KOs - from 39 bouts.
Thornberry says if Leapai is serious about climbing back up to the top to have another crack at becoming Australia's first heavyweight world champion, it will have to be proven in the ring.
"The winner is going to go on back into international contention and the loser is probably going to have to sit and evaluate where he goes next," Thornberry said.Tags: Malik Scott , Alex Leapai