Advertisement
Advertisement

Alex Arthur Takes a Pass on Burns, Moving Up To 140

Alex Arthur has confirmed that he is not seeking a rematch with fellow Scotsman and newly crowned WBO interim lightweight champion Ricky Burns and will now officially move up to the light-welterweight division.

Back in February 2006 at the Meadowbank Sports Centre in his home city of Edinburgh, Arthur defended his European, Commonwealth and British super-featherweight titles against Burns via a unanimous decision points victory.

There has been talk of a rematch between the pair since the Coatbridge man captured and made three successful defences of the WBO super-featherweight title which was previously held by Arthur.

The speculation has intensified after Burns out-boxed Australian Michael Katsidis in London to make a big impact in his debut as a lightweight.

Arthur said: “I just want to state that I want to and would love to fight Ricky for the interim title but I am no longer capable of safely making lightweight.

“I lost my WBO super-featherweight title against Nicky Cook because I was dead at the weight having outgrown the super-featherweight ranks but still went ahead with the bout.  I have learned from that mistake and do not want to repeat it.

“I actually wrote to my promoter Frank Warren last month regarding his plans for my next contest and stated in the letter that I was struggling at lightweight but would still like to face the winner of the Burns-Katsidis contest.

“However, with the advice I have been given, I now realise I should move up.  It is a no win situation and my family, trainer Peter Harrison, conditioning coach and nutritionist are of the same opinion.

“I hope to return to the ring next year.  Regardless of where my next fight takes place and who the opponent is, I will be entering the ring as a light-welterweight.”

Performance nutritionist expert Nikos Jakubiak is one member of Arthur’s team who is relieved at the move to the higher weight class.

Jakubiak said: “What has to be kept in mind is that Alex has weighed in for three of his last four fights at over ten stone.

“There isn’t enough fat in Alex’s body for him to lose so he would have to dehydrate himself to a degree where it would be a real risk to his health for him to box as a lightweight.

“I can’t see how Alex could provide a decent performance for the boxing fans as it would be impossible for him to perform the way he is capable of.”

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by dannnnn on 11-09-2011

[QUOTE=ChristianBale;11392861]He is or was a decent boxer actually. However like Pavlik, he had many issuyes outside of life with drink.[/QUOTE] Could you elaborate on this a bit? Had no idea Arthur had drink issues outside the ring, has it been…

Comment by D-MiZe on 11-09-2011

[QUOTE=Check;11392844]I remember when people thought this kid was the real deal.:lol1:[/QUOTE] He had a very promising start to his career. He's past it now though, can't see him even making an impact on the domestic scene.

Comment by PlayerKiller on 11-09-2011

[QUOTE=Check;11392844]I remember when people thought this kid was the real deal.:lol1:[/QUOTE] He is or was a decent boxer actually. However like Pavlik, he had many issuyes outside of life with drink.

Comment by Check on 11-09-2011

I remember when people thought this kid was the real deal.:lol1:

Post a Comment/View More User Comments (4)
Top Headlines Erik Morales: Amir Khan Won't Last Four Rounds With Canelo Luis Ortiz Warns Tony Thompson: Barking Dogs Don't Bite! Billy Dib To Face Sukkasem Kietyongyuth on February 26 Arreola Suspended For 90 Days, Tests Positive For Marijuana Denis Lebedev-Yunier Dorticos Clash Ordered By The WBA Photos: Jamel Herring Makes Weight, Set For First TV Main Event Garcia's Team Disputes Possibility Of Donnie Nietes Fight Freddie Roach is Pleased With Frankie Gomez Performance Luis Ramos on Top Rank Deal, Desire For World Title Fight Golovkin's Promoter Confirms Interest in Bernard Hopkins Fight Luis Ortiz-Thompson Set, But Not Yet Sanctioned By WBA Francisco Santana To Return on Top Rank Bill on April 2 Adamek-Molina: Mateusz Masternak To Face Fields on The Card Amir Khan: I'll Win and Make History, Shut The Doubters Up! Luis Ortiz-Tony Thompson Finalized For March 5th on HBO Cruz vs. Koasicha Tops March 4 Telemundo Bill In Tampa Toka Kahn-Clary Promises To Let The Hard Shots Rain Down Frank Bruno Insists Comeback Talk Came From The Heart Mayweather: Me and Al Haymon Have All The Say So in Boxing Arum: If Pacquiao Continues To Fight, Crawford is Perfect Foe Nietes May Defend Against Garcia in May, Not Fuentes RoundZero Wins Purse Bid For Chudinov-Signani EBU Title Fight IRA Claims 'Credit' For Deadly Dublin Weigh-In Shooting Browne Continues Camp As Chagaev Clash Still On Course Freddie Roach Warns: Don't Count Khan Out Completely Jonathan Gonzelez-Joebert Alvarez To Battle on March 19 Brook: I Wish Khan The Best, Don't Think He Can Beat Canelo Gutknecht To Braehmer: I’m Ready To Avenge My Defeat! Robert Helenius-Johann Duhaupas on April 2 For WBC Silver Belt Evander Holyfield: Anthony Joshua is Best Fighter UK Ever Had Mayweather: Khan Should Have Fought Brook, Not Canelo "Fighting Words" - Canelo vs. Khan: A One-Ring Circus Khan: If I'm Scared of Brook, Then Why Would I Fight Canelo? Guillermo Rigondeaux Wants To Excite in Liverpool, Says Diaz Haye Says The Klitschko Era is Over, Tabs Fury For Repeat Win Austin Trout Willing To Travel, Face Liam Smith in The UK Tyson Fury Hopes Wladimir Klitschko Rematch is Set 'ASAP' Hatton: Canelo Will Be Too Strong and Powerful For Amir Khan Francisco Vargas: Salido Would Be High Risk, a Good Challenge Povetkin: After Wilder I'm Open To Fury, Martin and Klitschko
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement