ALA Still Want Bautista To Face The 'Real' Genaro Garcia
by Ronnie Nathanielsz
ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer wants to get the “real” Genaro “Poblanito” Garcia who fought eight world champions and scored a 2nd round knockout over fancied Rafael Marquez to fight Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista on May 26.
Aldeguer told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard “that’s what we are looking at. We will work on that since we have a date on May 26 for ‘Booo Boom” so we will work on that” even as he was meeting with the ALA Promotions lawyers to plot a course of action against the agent who switched fighters, identified as Victor Hugo Correa. .
World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman told the Manila Standard that he would contact Garcia’s “exclusive promoter” Fausto Daniel Garcia about the possibility of fighting Bautista and in a sense helping erase the bad name caused by agent./matchmaker Victor Hugo Correa switching fighters and sending a bum to Tagbilaran City instead of the real Garcia who had been contracted for by ALA Promotions.
Sulaiman said “Poblanito” Garcia who “used to be a very good fighter” had retired a year or so ago “but has returned with victories and just won by a knockout and is looking good.”
Garcia won by a 6th round TKO over Genaro Camargo (38-11, 9 KO’s) last February 11 after scoring a 2nd round TKO over Jesus Santillan in a comeback fight.
Garcia had earlier spoiled the hometown return of Miguel Roman (23-2, 16 KO’s) when the former title contender won the vacant FECAMBOX super bantamweight title by a unanimous decision. Garcia almost annihilated Roman when Garcia floored him with a vicious left hook but Roman somehow weathered the storm but Garcia’s jab and ring savvy proved too much and he won by a shutout on one card 120-108 and by 116-111 margins on the scorecards of the two other judges.
Sulaiman said that even if the Garcia who fought Bautista was not a WBC sanctioned fight he would, as a “respected leader of the Mexican Boxing Federation as well as the Federal District Boxing Commission,“not allow these frauds from agents who seriously tarnish the good name of boxing in Mexico which is respected all over the world” even as he promised “to investigate all the way.”
The WBC president said Mexicans had “condemned the fraud” and added “It is something that has to be punished.”
He recommended that ALA Promotions aside from taking legal action against Hugo Correa also “file a complaint with the Mexican Boxing Federation” headed by Carlos Gonzales as he promised to “ask them to start an investigation.”
The Mexican Boxing Commission whose clearance the Garcia provided ALA Promotions is headed by Rafael Herrera. Sulaiman said “I am assuming its fake because I have talked to the Commission and the secretary of the commission and they informed me they never gave such an approval and in fact there is not one single Mexican approved to fight in the Philippines” so far this year.
The scam forced ALA Promotions to refund the cost of tickets of fight fans while the giant broadcast network ABS-CBN did not telecast the farcical fight as Vice President for Sports Peter Musngi refused to undermine the network's integrity and the high standards maintained by its "Pinoy Pride" series which has turned in excellent TV ratings in the past 10 episodes.
Both ALA Promotions and ABS-CBN lost a substantial amount of money because of the scam.
Genaro Garcia again? People in the PI are less interested in that fight after the switcharoo. Time to put Bautista to the test against a title holder or a top 10 featherweight.Comment by Triple Juice on 03-05-2012
Yeah right!Post a Comment/View More User Comments (2)