by David P. Greisman
One of the women seen in a sex tape with Adrien Broner has sued the former three-division titleholder, claiming damages from Broner allegedly subsequently releasing that footage to the public.
The lawsuit was filed in Clark County, Nevada, on May 1. BoxingScene.com has obtained a copy of the filing.
Broner is accused of breach of contract; breach of an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing in contract; breach of good faith and fair dealing in tort; negligence; public disclosure of private facts; appropriation/right to privacy; intentional infliction of emotional distress; and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
But breaking through that legalese, the basis of the lawsuit is a claim that the woman had agreed to participate in the sex tape under an agreement that it would remain private, and that Broner didn’t stick to that agreement, releasing the footage without her permission.
It claims Broner “negligently disclosed” the footage to “third parties and/or permitted the disclosure and distribution” of them "in order to realize profits and/or gain notoriety and fame or to otherwise promote and advance [his] commercial interests.”
That release “caused irreparable injury … and has forever defined the manner in which [the woman] will be viewed by individuals with whom she comes in contact,” the lawsuit says.
It is seeking a minimum of $10,000 for general damages, a minimum of $10,000 for special damages, and a minimum of $10,000 for exemplary/punitive damages, plus the payment of the plaintiff’s attorney fees and costs.
The plaintiff is Andrea Reyes, who the lawsuit says is a 23-year-old waitress “at a small family-owned restaurant in Las Vegas.” It says Reyes met Broner last year through a mutual acquaintance, and that Broner subsequently went to where Reyes worked “on several occasions” to ask for her phone number.
She ultimately gave it to him, they went out on a date, and then for about three months they “spent substantial time together and formed a romantic relationship,” the lawsuit claims.
Broner asked Reyes to allow him to record them “engaged in a private sexual act with a third-party female.”
Last year, foootage came out in which Broner received oral sex from two women.
"In a scenario of unimaginable shame and embarrassment,” the woman said she didn't know about the footage being public until her father told her about it, the lawsuit claims.
The filing also calls Broner “a professional boxer and aspiring musician who is known more for his exploits outside the ring than for any actualized boxing or musical success. Throughout the course of Defendant's boxing and musical career, Defendant has engaged in a series of abhorrent, loathsome and offensive acts which were performed specifically for the intent to increase Defendant's fame and notoriety.”
The lawsuit mentions, for instance, the video of Broner performing oral sex on a stripper inside a club, inflammatory statements he’s made on Twitter, a video of Broner flushing $20 bills down a toilet on which he was seated, the Paulie Malignaggi “sidepiece” saga, and more.
Broner fought this past weekend on the undercard to the Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana pay-per-view, scoring a unanimous decision over Carlos Molina. That brought the former 130-, 135- and 147-pound titleholder’s record to 28-1 with 22 KOs and 1 no contest, with that lone loss coming against Maidana last December.
Pick up a copy of David’s new book, “Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing,” at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsamazon or internationally at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsworldwide. Send questions/comments via email at [email protected]