By Frank Stea
Fresh off his exciting knockout win over Donovan George last Friday, top super middleweight contender Adonis “Superman” Stevenson 19-1 (16KOs) is more than ready to cash in his opportunity at a world title shot.
Currently being ranked at #1 by the IBF and the mandatory to Carl Froch’s title, Stevenson knows he has some time wait before he gets his crack at him. With Froch scheduled to defend his title against Yusaf Mack in one month and then a rematch with Lucian Bute in early 2013, ‘Superman’ is awaiting the green light for his shot.
“I’m the number one contender. Carl Froch has six months to fight with me,” Stevenson told World Boxing News.
“Bute and Froch have a personal contract for a rematch. Now Froch has to fight Yusaf Mack. After that fight, if he should win, he’ll have six months to fight me. Probably in February or March, I will fight Carl Froch.”
With many other names out there in the super middleweight division, there could be some very interesting matchups for him in the future. WBN asked Stevenson if he would go to Oakland and face the kingpin of the division in Andre Ward.
“I don’t have a problem to go to Oakland. I don’t have a problem to fight Andre Ward. Andre Ward is negotiating with Kelly Pavlik right now and we have the number one spot for Carl Froch title. But if Andre Ward wants to fight, he knows my number.”
Speaking of Kelly Pavlik, there were talks online about a potential matchup earlier this year between him and Stevenson that never materialized. Stevenson told WBN that money was the factor on Pavlik’s behalf.
“Kelly Pavlik said he don’t want the fight. He said he doesn’t need this fight because he can have a world title fight. He needs more money. He needed a couple million dollars. So he pulled out of the fight. “
“He’s only looking for the big money now.”
Follow Adonis Stevenson on Twitter @AdonisStevenson
Frank Stea is co-presenter of ATG Radio as well as a head reporter at worldboxingnews.net, follow him on Twitter @FrankStea and @ATGRadio.